Tirana International Airport is situated near the village of Rinas 17km from the city of Tirana and 32km from the coastal city of Durrës. Today the airport is named after Mother Theresa (Nënë Tereza), the Albanian missionary who was canonised a saint in September 2016, and it serves almost 2 million passengers a year.
The airport was constructed over a period of two years from 1955 to 1957.Up until 1960the only airlines that flew there were airlines such as Aeroflot, Jat and Malev, and the airport served no more than two flights a day.
Until about 1980, Albania became increasingly isolated from the world. Especially in the period after it severed ties with the Soviet Union. It was one of the poorest countries in the world.
As a result of the fall of communism with the “revolutions” in Eastern Europe of 1989, leading to the fall of communism in Albania in 1991, and extraordinary scenes such as that one below, as people left in droves, relations between the Albanian government and foreign countries began to improve.